1. Always get up. The game is about getting up, getting up fast, and getting up over and over again. Even the most talented players get knocked down. The great ones get up.
2. Keep your head up. When you tackle or block, you need to keep your head up so you don't get hurt, and so you deliver the best hit that you can.
3. Stay low. The low man will win almost every battle on the football field. Tackle low. Block low. Play the game low and you’ll win.
4. Wrap up when you tackle. Too many kids just plow into the ball carrier without wrapping their arms around the runner's legs. It's more important to bring the ball carrier down for certain than it is to make a devastating hit. The best tacklers do both, and they will always wrap their arms when they tackle.
5. Treat your teammates like they're special. Football is the ultimate team game—to win, everyone has to work hard together. And you can't just be a team on the field. You need to treat your fellow teammates with respect and kindness in the locker room, the classroom, the lunchroom, and the hallways. Every person on a team matters, even if they’re not the star player. A championship team is like a band of brothers.